This is a quick blog post relating to the Web Developer Toolbar for Firefox and Google Chrome.
A couple of weeks ago I was happily browsing the Internet when my Firefox browser crashed. I thought “no big deal” and re-opened my browser but to my despair, my Web Developer Toolbar had disappeared, leaving a very thin bar where the toolbar should have been.
This problem can occur when a browser (with the Web Developer Toolbar enabled) crashes or sometimes when the browser is updated.
I tried disabling and enabling the plugin, restarting my browser and even deleting the add-on and re-installing it, none of which solved the problem.
The solution is actually very simple:
- Right-click where the toolbar should be.
- Select Customize… (this will activate a pop-up).
- In the pop-up click on the Restart Default Set button.
This will return your Web Developer Toolbar back to where it belongs.
If your Web Developer Toolbar is now only showing icons and you would like for it to show text as well the icons, go to the main menu at the top of the browser and select:
- Tools -> Web Developer -> Options -> Options… (this will activate a pop-up).
- In the middle of the pop-up window there is a drop-down menu labelled ‘Display Toolbar with‘, Change this setting to ‘Icons & Text‘*.
*If the drop-down is already set to ‘Icons & Text‘, change it to ‘Icons‘, click the OK button and then carry out the two steps above and it will sort itself out.
Web Developer Toolbar
If you are a web designer or developer you will more than likely already have this add-on but if you don’t or you are new to the world of web design/development, get it now!
You can download the Web Developer Toolbar for both Firefox and Chrome from ChrisPederick.com (the developer’s website).